Sunday, August 15, 2010

Giraffes


I have always loved giraffes. I think they are graceful creatures that remind me of ballerinas cause of their long legs and fluid movements.

Interesting Giraffe Facts
  • A new born giraffe measures about 6 feet.
  • The tongue of an adult giraffe measures 27".
  • Every step a giraffe takes is 15 feet in length.
  • Giraffes sleep for no more than 5 to 30 minutes in 24 hours.
  • A giraffe is the one of the largest, strongest and peaceful animals on Earth.
  • The average life span of a giraffe is 20 to 25 years.
  • A giraffe's heart is 24 pounds in weight and 2 feet in length.
  • A giraffe seldom lies down, it can sleep as well as give birth standing up!
  • Giraffes are blessed with excellent eyesight.
When I was in Australia about 2 years ago visiting my parents, we went to this fabulous wild park zoo called Monarto. Here we were able to feed the giraffes carrots from a large platform and the giraffes just walked right up and ate the carrots out of our hands. It was so magical.


here I am trying so hard to bring the giraffe to me

I ran across this wedding post the other day and screamed with joy at how funny these pictures are. What do you think? Aren't they great.




Megan and Phil just got married at the Santa Barbara Zoo, among lions, parrots and monkeys. Their guests even fed giraffes after the ceremony! from A Cup of Joe Blog

(Wedding Photos by Max Wanger)


I just love the faces the giraffe is pulling--so funny.



1 comment:

Katelyn & Wade said...

You would like an animal with an enormously long tongue.