Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Remebering Alec

As a voice teacher I am blessed to work with thousands of people from young to old. There is a moment of pure magic that happens in my studio, where kids open up and let me see a bit of their soul. They remind me of the excitement and love found in music and in life.


Alec Henriksen was one of these students to me. I taught him for about a year in singing and guitar and was continually excited to banter with him about life. We laughed a lot during lessons and I watched him become more sure of himself as he would play and sing for me. When Alec was just 15 he helped me with my first website of my business. Such talent. Such a brilliant kid. One of my fondest memories is when he and Breezy, another student, baked me a chocolate birthday cake and brought it to the studio to wish me a happy birthday. That is just the kind of kid he is.

I was devastated to hear of Alec's death. My heart goes out to his family. I knew them fairly well, as we grew up in the same neighborhood and we went to the same church together. I remember Alec as a baby with his twin bother Landon. I am very sorry for your loss and I pray that you will find comfort at this time.

Here is a link to Alec's obituary. Alec you are loved and thank you for touching my life.

This song reminds me of you Alec, not because of the lyrics, but because I think we worked on it for maybe 2 months or more and the difficulty of the guitar didn't get you down, you just kept on trying. Even years after I taught you, every time I hear this song I still think of your fabulous blond hair and that cute smile probably teasing me about something.

Please feel free to leave a comment or memory about Alec, as I will make sure his family sees it.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

It really is a very sweet post. Thank you!