Thursday, January 13, 2011

Paul in South Africa

Paul left on Monday to go to South Africa with about 7 other students from his conflict resolution program at George Mason University to study and research the conflict in South Africa and how to build national identity and unity. Paul's research is on the how sport has helped reduce conflict in South Africa.  Anyways here is what Paul sent me in an email today.

I am missing you. Traveling without you is not nearly as fun, although some of these people are already getting at each others throats - so at least that will be exciting.  The flights were not as bad as I figured they would be.  I was able to stay busy doing sudoku and reading.  Movies make the time go slower and give me headaches.  I watched the A Team, maybe that is why I had a headache on the way to Amsterdam.  I also walked laps for about an hour during the flight to Cape Town.  I'm sure that helped. 

Cape Town is a really neat city.  I kind of feel like Im in Australia except the accents are much different.  Just outside our hotel is an outdoors mall that is a lot like Rundle Mall in Adelaide with a lot more local vendors.  The people are pretty nice, but there seems to a hesitation of trust as you approach them for directions.  The weather is great, couldnt be better.  There were no clouds in the sky and about 80 degrees.  We had a slow start this morning, at least I did.  I was bright eyed at 6:00 AM with the sun, so I sat around for an hour or so until the continental breakfast was open.  Then I ate yogurt, fruit, yogurt and more fruit.  Then had a small bowl of bran flakes.  After that, I was tired of waiting for everyone (they were going to meet in the lobby at 10) so I went for a stroll.  I walked around all the government buildings and felt very safe because of all the police that patrol the neighborhood.  Took lots of cool photos that I will pass along when we get to Joburg.  We finally got together around 11 and went to the beach and was religious about putting on sunblock.  Unfortunately, I still got burned really bad - apparently the sun is still bright on this end of the world.  Maybe the sunblock I packed was past its shelf life.  Oh well.


The drastic different from sea to mountain is pretty cool.  I know we saw pictures online, but it really is breathtaking.   While on the beach, I looked at the waves and imagined surfing the waves and scuba diving, then turned around the daydreamed about rock climbing and mountain biking.  Pretty neat to have that combination.   


I love you and miss you!





I am wicked jealous. Argh. I want to be there in 80 degree weather hanging on a beach in Cape Town. No fair.

5 comments:

Shari said...

Just doesn't, seem fair. They go to the warm weather and we have to stay in this??????? I know I was born on the wrong island.

Shari said...

Just doesn't, seem fair. They go to the warm weather and we have to stay in this??????? I know I was born on the wrong island.

Shari said...

Just doesn't, seem fair. They go to the warm weather and we have to stay in this??????? I know I was born on the wrong island.

Aimee said...

Leah you really needed to hide in his suit case. I can't believe you are not there :) I figured he would have required a stick to beat you away :) Hang in there. Only what....litle 3 more months of this snowy cold crap :) Love you. Thank you so much for posting. I loved seeing the pictures. Obviously we need to live in Africa :) Who knew

The Hunt's said...

You guys are so lame. Who wants to go to Germany or South Africa for extended periods of time? BOR-ING!

And I live somewhere warm and not to point out the painfully obvious, but it is lovely (you could have come to P. Dine, need I remind you...)anywho, I must say my bones are aching for some sticks on my feet and a ride up the tram.

And lastly, I too LOVED that house in It's Complicated, the kitchen inparticular, (sigh) someday?